Sunday, December 13, 2009

Does the term (lable) lipstick lesbian bother you?

I first heard this term years ago in a discussion with what I now refer to as ';purists';. They were refering to women who were either bi or affraid to come out saying they were wannabes.





Ever since then that term has left a bad feeling and memory for me.





I am a woman and like the way I look. I get looks from guys all the time. As I got older my confidence grew and yes I'm told by men and women that I'm hot (no I don't let it go to my head)





I just find the term Lipstick lesbian offensive because it singles out women who don't fit a stupid stereotype.Does the term (lable) lipstick lesbian bother you?
Depends on how it's used, just like some other terms. For example, I have friends who refer to themselves as ';trannies'; or ';trannyf*gs';, but I would never want to have someone yell that across a room at me.





It does single out women who don't fit a stereotype, but so does ';butch'; (for women who aren't feminine).Does the term (lable) lipstick lesbian bother you?
No, it doesn't bother me, but there are some other catch phrases that do bother me...i understand what you mean about the ';titles';. hmmm i don't think that things will ever change though..u know gay guys are called the ';F'; word...i think that is worse than anything a lesbian could be called really..
I was under the impression that a lipstick lesbian was the attractive feminine lesbians as compared to the man hating, truck driving, square shaped almost female ones.
Ahhh I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm twenty and I have a large group of friends from forty on up. Back in the days of lesbian feminism it was not politcally correct to be butch or femme, one had to be more adrogynous. Womyn were not supposed to be ';male'; or ';female'; identified (read:no butches or femmes).





Unfortunately, lesbianism was more like a politcal party in those days.





Of course, butches and femmes did exist, they were merely ';underground'; so to speak. Thank goodness because I don't know what I'd do without butches and transmen.





To answer your question, yes, I am a lipstick lesbian. This, to me, means that I am ultra-femme, that I am the lady at all times on the arm of my butch, stone or trans counterpart.


I hate to go without make-up, I can check my tire pressure in stilletos, I can drive and put on mascara at the same time.


I'm not speaking for every lesbian out there, but this is just me.





BTW John,





I like the square-shaped truck driving lesbians. :)
I don't think it's offensive....I just don't understand the point of labeling ourselves and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
web hosting providers